header collage

The Post Office Directory of Somerset and Bristol 1875

Edited by E.R. Kelly MA FSS
(Pages 481/482, Pitminster)

Pitminster is a large parish and village, 4 1/2 miles south from Taunton railway station, in the Western division of the county, Taunton hundred and union, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Taunton, and diocese of Bath and Wells. The Church of St Andrew and St Mary is an ancient building, in the Perpendicular style, and has undergone a complete restoration: in re-seating, the richly carved ancient bench ends have been preserved; there are also a finely carved stone pulpit and reredos and some very interesting altar tombs to the Cole family, dating from the 16th and 17th centuries. The register dates from the year 1541. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 550, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev George Robert Lawson, M.A. of Trinity College Cambridge. The rectorial tithes belong to F. W. Newton, esq., value 300 yearly. There is a good parochial school. The Independents have a small chapel, and a day and Sunday school. A charity of 9.10s yearly value is for clothing. Barton Grange, the property and residence of  F.W. Newton, esq., J. P., occupies a commanding site at the foot of the Blackdown Hills and was anciently the summer residence of the Priors of Taunton: the park contains some magnificent elm and oak timber. The other principal residences are Eastbrook House, of Ambrose G. Lethbridge, esq., J.P.; Piercefield, Thomas Meyler, esq.; Canons Grove, V.J. Reynolds, esq., J. P.; Lowton House, Robert Mattock, esq.; Poundisford Park, Edmund D.Bourdillon, esq.; Culmhead House, John Mellor, esq.; Poundisford Lodge, Mrs Helyar, and Amberd House, Dr Woodforde. Mr Sergeant Cox is Lord of the manor. The principal landowners are F.W. Newton, esq., J.P., Mr Justice Mellor, R. Mattock, esq., Rev. Pearce, and Mrs Helyar. The soil is clay; subsoil, various clay, and in the upper parts rock. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, roots and pasture land. The acreage is 5,120; rateable value, 10, 867; the population in 1871 was 1,592.
BLAGDON, HOWLEIGH, and FELTHAM, each distant a mile and a half, are hamlets.
Parish Clerk, Jacob Hewitt.
POST OFFICE Francis Stock, receiver. Letters for Blagdon & Pitminster village arrive from Taunton, those for Howleigh & district arrive from Wellington, & for Stawbridges, from Honiton. The nearest money order office is at Taunton.
Benfield, William
Bourdillon, Edmund D., Poundisford Park
Gibbs, Mrs, Staplehay
Goodland, William
Helyar, Mrs, Poundisford Lodge
Henderson, Mrs, Bell house
Hurman, Rev. Benjamin [independent], Staplehay
Lawson, Rev. George Robert, M.A. [vicar], The Vicarage
Lethbridge, Ambrose Goddard, J.P., Eastbrook house
Malet, Octavius W., Haygrass
Mattock, Robert, Lowton house
Mellor, John, Culmhead house
Meyler, Thomas, Piercefield
Newton, Francis Wheat, J.P., Barton Grange
Peard, Capt. George S., Pitminster lodge
Pitt, Mrs, Southwell lodge
Reynolds, Vincent John, J.P., Canos Grove house
Warre, Rev. John Eagles, West Combe house
Woodforde, F.H., M.D., Amberd house
Baker, Charles, cabinet maker, Fulwood
Baker, John, farmer, Fulwood
Bicknell, Isaac, farmer, Canons Grove farm
Bicknell, Isaac, farmer, Poundisford farm
Bicknell, Isaac, jun., shopkeeper
Bicknell, Richard Stocker, carpenter
Bicknell, William, timber dealer & shopkeeper, Shoreditch
Brown, Thomas, land steward to F.W. Newton, esq., Quarry house
Buckland, James, family wine, spirit & ale stores & miller
Cavill, Thomas, farmer, Fulwood
Clark, William, jun., farmer, Duddleston
Cousins, William Henry, farmer, Duddleston
Day, Samuel, dairyman & farmer, Poundisford
Day, Samuel, farmer, Kibbear
Denning, John, farmer, Fulwood
Dennis, Samuel, farmer
Durston, William, farmer
Fremlin, Elizabeth (Mrs), farmer, Kibbear
Gill, Thomas, farmer
Goldsworth, Lot, carpenter
Gould, William, shopkeeper
Hutchings, William, farmer, Stawbridges
Jennings, Thomas, tailor
Johns, Robert, blacksmith
Loosemore, Ann (Mrs), Winchester Arms, Eastbrook
Marke, John, miller, Batts
Marke, John, jun., farmer, Batts farm
Marke, Mark, farmer
Morr, John, provision dealer
Perrin, John, provision dealer
Perrin, John, farmer, Cornish farm
Philips George, The Crown, Staplehay
Rendell, Edward W. farmer, Shoreditch
Richards, Thomas, The Lamb & Flag
Shepherd, Richard, relieving officer & registrar of births & deaths for the Pitminster district
Shire, Samuel, blacksmith
Slade, Edward, butcher
Spiller, Charles, dairyman, Kibbear
Stook, Francis, shopkeeper & post office
Tavinder, William, farmer, Woodram farm
Trood, Richard, farmer & cider grower, Spearcehay
Trott, Henry, farmer, Sweethay
Trott, Robert, farmer, Sweethay
Valentine, Richard, farmer
Wescombe, John, beer retailer & wheelwright
White, Samuel, farmer, Fossgrove
Williams, James Downton, farmer
Woodbury, Robert, farmer, Kibbear
Woodforde, F.H., M.D. private lunatic asylum for ladies, Amberd house


Thompson, -, Howleigh house
Bale, Samuel, farmer
Bright, Edward, farmer, White farm
Chaplin, Charles, farmer, Woodbrook
Clark, Charlotte (Mrs), farmer
Clark, William, farmer, Budleigh
Hernimon, John, farmer, Chunsey
Irish, John, farmer, Combe
Jennings, John, beer retailer
Johnson, Jeremiah, farmer
Marshall, John, blacksmith
Perrott, Thomas, farmer
Sansom, John, shopkeeper, Lowton
Skinner, William Comer, farmer, Howleigh farm


Malden, Martin, Brookfield house
Thomas, James
Billings, William, mason
Bright, Thomas, farmer & assistant overseer
Buttle, Thomas, wheelwright
Dyer, Walker, baker
Hart, Mary Ann (Mrs), haberdasher
Pring, Henry, shoe maker
Return to top

Site last updated
Monday, 20 June 2016
Please report website problems
to webmaster