title

header collage

The Post Office Directory of Somerset and Bristol 1875

Edited by E.R. Kelly MA FSS
(Pages 529/530, Thurlbear)
THURLBEAR is a parish in the Western Division of the country, a hundred of North Curry, Taunton Union and County Court district, rural deanery and Archdeaconry of Taunton, and diocese of Bath and Wells, situated on the turnpike Road from Taunton to Chard, about three and a half miles south east from Taunton. The Church of St Thomas is an ancient stone structure, in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and perpendicular tower with 4 bell: there are some good at stained windows. The register dates from about the beginning of the 17th century. The living is a rectory, yearly value 136, with residence and about 28 acres of glebe, in the gift of Viscount Portman, and held by the Reverend Fitzhardinge Berkeley Portman, M A, of all Souls College Oxford who resides at Staple Fitzpaine; the Reverend William H Lance, of King's College London is in sole charge. A handsome school-house was erected in 1872 for the parishes of Stoke St Mary and Thurlbear. Viscount Portman is Lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is mostly clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans and roots, and there is some grazing land. The area is 949 acres; rateable value, 1,100; and the population in 1871 was 165
Sexton: John Tarr
Letters through Taunton, the nearest money order office
School: Miss Fanny Middleton, mistress
Lance Rev William H, Rectory
COMMERCIAL
Birt Worthy (Mrs), farmer
Braddick John, dairyman
Cridge Thomas, carpenter
Doble Edwin, beer retailer
Durk Joseph, builder etc
Gifford James, farmer, Greenway farm
Jeffrey Philip and John, farmers, Badger Street farm
Spiller John, lime burner and farmer
Tarr John, carpenter.

Site last updated
Monday, 20 June 2016
Please report website problems
to webmaster