title

header collage

The Post Office Directory of Somerset and Bristol 1875

Edited by E.R. Kelly MA FSS
(Pages 532/533, Trull)
TRULL is the parish and village, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Taunton Dean, Taunton union and county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Taunton, and diocese of Bath and Wells, situated on the high road from Taunton to Honiton, being two miles south-west from the former town. The Church of All Saints is of the Perpendicular period, and built of the stone of the district: it consists of chancel, nave, and aisles, and a west tower of two stages containing 5 bells: the church has been restored and reseated at the expense of F W Newton, esq, and of Revs. W J Allen and H C Seller: the interior contains the original very richly carved bench ends, old oak pulpit and screen, and the 3 stained windows. The register is a very ancient. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £130 (gross) with residence, in the gift of Francis Wheat Newton, esq, of Barton Grange, who owns the great and small tithes, yearly value £530, and held by the Rev Henry Charles's Seller, B.A. of St John's College Cambridge. There is a handsome new school, designed by J H Spencer, esq, and opened in April 1875 for this parish and the adjacent portion of Pitminster parish. For description of the Wesleyan College, situated in this parish, see Taunton. The parish lands produce £107 yearly, which is divided into three equal parts, one for maintenance of the Church, and the other two parts for distribution in clothing and money. The soil is marl; the chief crops of wheat, barley, roots, and grazing land. Mr Serjeant Cox is Lord of the manor; and Captain Thomas Patton, RN, Thomas Blake, esq, William Stevens, esq, Mrs Vibart, Rev - Pearce, Mr Dening, and Mr William Thomas are the chief landowners. The area is 2233 acres: rateable value, £5,308 and the population in 1871 was 861.
Parish clerk, Charles Dawe
Sexton, Joseph Villet.
POST OFFICE - George Ward, sub-postmaster letters through Taunton at 7am; dispatched at 6:20pm on weekdays, and at 12 noon on Sundays; box closes five minutes before each dispatch. The nearest money order office is at Taunton. For Curtsey and Budleigh the post town is Wellington.
INSURANCE AGENT - (railway passengers) R.N. Greenslade
Parochial school, Mr Whale
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Allen Rev. Wm Jefferys, J P Gatchell house
Blake Mrs, Dipford
Blake Rice, Claremont
Blake Thomas, Cutsey
Corner James Purston, Fair Lawn
Hamson -, Southwick house
Handcock George
Harness Thomas, M.D.
Hine, Mrs
McLean Adam Clarke, B.A. Wild Oak ho
Passmore Miss, Batts house
Seller Rev. Henry Charles, B.A. [vicar] The Vicarage
Slater Rev. Wm Paul, Wesleyan College
Welsh Mrs Lower Comeytrowe
White James, Boxhill Hedge
COMMERCIAL
Blake Thomas, farmer & landowner, Cutsey
Braddick William, farmer, Budleigh
Bull Albert, plumber, painter & glazier
Clark William, farmer, Budleigh
Coram Stephen Hewitt, farmer, Hearsewell farm
Dening Edwin, farmer & landowner, Lower Comeytrowe
Greenslade R.N. wine & spirit merchant & importer, auctioneer, appraiser & surveyor; & at "George hotel" High street, Taunton
Hewitt Robert (Mrs), farmer, Chilleswd
John Charles, blacksmith
Johns Edward, shopkeeper
Langford John, blacksmith, Daw’s green
Markes James, wheelwright
Mogridge John, mason
Norish John, farmer, Hamwood
Passmore Mary Ann (Miss), ladies’ school, Batt’s house
Ridler Mathew, farmer
Wesleyian Collegiate Institution (Rev. W.P. Slater, governor; Thomas Sibley, B.A. head master)
Wood George, boot & shoe maker

Site last updated
Monday, 20 June 2016
Please report website problems
to webmaster